Alcoholado, also called Alcolado or Bay Rum, is a blend of West Indian Bay leaves, alcohol, and essential oils of eucalyptus, camphor and peppermint.
6 oz. (180 ml)
It is used in many ailments and for this reason is present in every Puerto Rican home. You will find a bottle of alcoholado in the botiquín or medicine chest and on the bedside table on the island. It’s part of our Puerto Rican culture!
We use it for many things!
– A bath to lower the fever.
– As a friction or body rub for muscle pains.
– Smell it directly from the bottle for nasal congestion.
– Headache relief. Apply cold from the fridge to the forehead using a cloth.
– Aftershave to refresh and prevent razor burn.
– Relieve insect bites.
– Even as a perfume!!
How is Artisanal Alcoholado Made?
First of all, we select the best unblemished leaves of the tree and immerse them in ethyl alcohol for several months. The alcohol extracts the essence from the leaf becoming darker with time.
Then, we add more plant extracts, called essential oils, such as Eucalyptus, Mint, Camphor and others but we cannot divulge all our 17 year old recipe!
We then add Malagueta leaves and spices such as cloves and peppercorns to the bottle before filling.